The European Commission’s Social Investment Package was launched in 2013 to encourage EU Member States to actively pursue social investment policies that modernise their welfare systems. The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (JRC Seville) in collaboration with DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, is conducting a three-year research project to explore the nature and impact of ICT-Enabled Social Innovation (IESI) initiatives promoting the objectives of the SIP for growth and social cohesion.
Our Added Value
We have been working for the European Commission on project IESI since 2014, leading on the following contracts:
- IESI 1 – Research project analysing the impact of ICT-enabled social innovations for fulfilling the goals of the SIP (IESI Knowledge Map 2015)
- IESI 2 – Research project analysing IESIs led by social enterprises and their significance for achieving the SIP goals
- IESI 3 – Curation and network analysis of IESI database (2014-2015 data)
Across these projects, PlusValue delivered a broad range of services including:
- Overall project management of work packages, deliverables, and consortium partnership with the Centre for Social Innovation, the Young Foundation and IMT Lucca
- Research, mapping, and analysis of 200+ original IESI case studies with a geographical focus on EU Member States
- Interim and final reports for the European Commission
- Knowledge dissemination and communication activities, including policy briefings and conference presentations
- Curation and analysis of IESI database (2014-2015 data) using a network analysis approach, in partnership with IMT Institute for Advanced Studies
- Outcomes from our 2015 Mapping exercise are published in the JRC Technical Report (2015): ‘Mapping and Analysis of ICT-enabled Social Innovation initiatives promoting social investment in integrated approaches to the provision of social services: IESI Knowledge Map 2015’ and in the CeDEM Conference Proceedings. The main outcomes of the study are summarised in this presentation (as in the website Seville conference).
- Outcomes from the IESI 2 are summarised in the recently published JRC Insights – Social Policy Innovation Series – The role of the Social Economy in promoting Social Investment.
- Outcomes from IESI 3 are integrated in the JRC Technical Report (2017) “Mapping and Analysis of ICT-enabled Social Innovation initiatives promoting social investment across the EU: IESI Knowledge Map 2016”.
PlusValue will continue to contribute to the IESI knowledge community through further research, analysis, publications, events, and future calls for proposals.