San Patrignano is the one of the largest social enterprises in Italy. Its core service is drug and addiction rehabilitation, provided through a unique 3-year therapeutic programme based on education and community rehabilitation. For over 35 years, San Patrignano has welcomed young men and women with serious problems linked to drug addiction, completely free of charge and without requesting any kind of contribution from their families and without state funding. The San Patrignano community located in Botticella, near the town of Novafeltria, is currently home to 1,300 young men and women. Since 1978, San Patrignano has welcomed over 25,000 people, offering them a home, legal and medical assistance, and the opportunity to study and learn a trade and to thus change their life for the better. In the last 25 years, the community has replaced over 3,600 years of custodial sentences with rehabilitation programmes, targeting full recovery and reintegration into society and the workplace. The San Patrignano rehabilitation community operates thanks to 109 volunteers and 313 collaborators and consultants, a third of whom followed a rehabilitation programme in San Patrignano themselves. San Patrignano’s social enterprise activities include the sale of high quality hand-made artisanal products and organic food produced by the community, as well as corporate hosting services on site.
Our Added Value
PlusValue’s work with San Patrignano focuses on:
- Developing an impact investing strategy for San Patrignano
- Communication and dissemination activities to publicise and market San Patrignano products, services, and positive impacts to a global audience
- Developing strategic partnerships to scale-up San Patrignano’s potential impact in Italy and around the world
- Helping to establish a San Patrignano foundation and/or social enterprise in the UK
- Identifying and developing sources of sustainable finance and fundraising for San Patrignano
PlusValue has launched together with commercial bank Esperia the first Italian investment fund where investors are granted returns in line with market performances and part of the fund management fees are devolved to San Patrignano, originating new revenues of €300,000 per year for the organisation.